Thursday, October 13, 2005

weird pregnancy dreams, and revalations

During the 9 months of pregnancy, women will have a multitude of very strange dreams. Many of these dreams, for some reason, seam unsettlingly realistic at the time. There are many supposed pshychological reasons behind the different types of pregnancy dream. Insecurity about the changing body can cause dreams of past loves and lovers, insecurity about being a mom can cause very negative dreams, especially dreams where you forget the baby. Being certain you will be a good mom can cause dreams of having hyper inteligent babies, who hardly need you for anything, but credit you with everything. Then, well, there are the dreams which defy explanation. While pregnant with Bigguy, I had a dream that I gave birth to a baby carrot, and no one, including the doctors, thought this was in any way wrong. We were all relatively OK with the carrot, untill Christmas dinner and the veggie tray, anytime we would here a *crunch* we would all look around frantically to make sure no one was eating the baby. I have yet to meet anyone who can explain that one.
Last night, however, I had a dream that made me sad to wake up. Everything was the same as it is now, but Sept 11 had never happened. The "War on Terror" had never occured. Gas prices were low, there were no terrorist threats, numerous friends were not shipped out, so were active in my, my husbands, and my childrens life. It made me realise what life was like when Bigguy was born, as opposed to what life is like now. Bigguy was born a few months pre 9/11/01. We did not fear for family and freinds whenever we heard of a bombing in a forign country. We did not regret every family function we could not attend for Hubby's family, knowing that it might be the last time we see some cousins. Bro-in-law was going to join the military after highschool, we thank god now that he was outed for medical reasons. People I have known for years, years, that I never had any doubt Hubby or my kids would meet, are currently in Iraq, Afghanistan, and various other locals. Most of them were supposed to be home two or three years ago, but are still gone. Sadness to wake up and realize that that was a dream, and this is reality.

No comments: