Monday, May 09, 2005

mother's day

I just want to wish everyone happy mother's day! Yes everyone, not just females. The mom's who stay home with their kids, the mom's who work, for their kids, moms who put up for adoption and moms who adopted. Moms who do the right thing, even when it is not easy. Aunts who don't have kids, so treat their nieces/nephews like royalty. The Dad who has costody, the gay couple that adopts, the foster family. Friends that help out, grandparents, without whom our own children wouldn't be possible. Doctors, nurses, midwives, doulas, everyone who plays a hand in bringing a child into the earth. Daycare providers, you help the moms which have to work, teachers-enough said.
One day our children grow up, they do not relyon us for everything anymore, but what we tought them when they were young will stick with them the rest of their lives. From my mom, I learned acceptance of all people, hard work, and sacrifice all have their own rewards. from my aunt, I learned a little bit of attitude goes a long way, but too much attitude gets you no where fast. From my sister, I learned things only someone with an older sister could understand. My father tought me that not all dads are infalliable, My step father tought me that some dads are truely good, are there for their kids, and that there is more than biology that determines who your kids are(thank you so much jazzdad, for all you have done for me, my boys, and my mom). From my step mom, I learned that a small, closed mind and narrow worldveiw will most likely stay that way, but in somepeople(not her per se) it can change. From my mom's mom, I learned how to make anything there is to eat, from practically nothing, and that you never stop caring for your children-even when they dissapoint you, I wish she was still here to learn from.
I don't know how many people read this blog, nor do I really care, I just hope the people reading it understand the affect parents have on their childrens lives, and that it ripples down throughout the generations. My sons will never be able to meet any of my grandparents, but they will learn things that I learned at both my granma's knees, in both their kitchens, stories and songs from both.
So have a happy moothers day, EVERYONE, for it doesn't matter if you gave birth, can give birth, or will ever give birth. If it takes a village to raise a child, then you all are important and special today.

No comments: